Nothing beats the Japan Rail Pass when it comes to getting great value and convenience while travelling and sightseeing around Japan! Japan Rail Pass, available year round, lets travelers use most of the Japan Rail (JR) trains and its affiliated bus and ferry services in Japan.
In order to obtain the Japan Rail Pass, it is necessary to:
1) Be a foreign visitor to Japan and have a “Temporary Visitor” stamp or seal in your passport
2) Purchase an Exchange Order before travelling to Japan. Exchange Orders can be purchased from:
- a) Overseas offices of JTB Corporation, JALPAK, Nippon Travel Agency Co., Ltd., Kintetsu International and Toptour Corporation, as well as from each of their affiliated travel agencies.
- b) Overseas offices of Japan Airlines (JAL) and All Nippon Airways (ANA)
- For more information about these companies, visit here.
3) Upon arriving in Japan, take your Exchange Order to an applicable Japan Rail station which has a Japan Rail Pass Exchange Office to receive your Japan Rail Pass
The Exchange Order must be turned into an Exchange Office within three (3) months from when it was issued to obtain the Japan Rail Pass. When you turn it in, you must specify the date you want to start using the Japan Rail Pass.
There are two types of passes: Green (for superior class Green cars) and Ordinary. Three different durations are available: 7-day, 14-day and 21-day passes. The validity period for these passes consists of the consecutive 7, 14 or 21 days beginning on the date the Japan Rail Pass is first used.
All Japan Rail Passes offer adult and child fares. Please be aware that restrictions may apply.
For more information about the Japan Rail Pass, visit here.