Tokyo, February 21, 2012
On March 11, 2012, Japan will mark the one-year anniversary of the Great East Japan Earthquake. The Japan Tourism Agency (JTA) and the Japan National Tourism Organization (JNTO) will begin a campaign called "Japan. Thank You." Other ministries, local governments and private sectors as well as the Japanese people too will be involved.
Japan was severely affected by the earthquake and its aftermath, but the nation is now rising again thanks to the heartfelt support of the international community. As a travel destination, Japan's recovery to date has been more rapid than previously expected as outlined in an Oxford Economics report(www.wttc.org/site_media/uploads/downloads/Japan_report_Dec_Update_RGB.pdf). In January 2012, the number of international tourists recorded was about 700,000, representing only a 4.5% decrease compared to the same time last year, while immediately after the earthquake it was over 70% decrease.
Through this campaign, utilizing the new design logo "Japan. Thank You.", the Japanese people will express our sincere gratitude to the world and tourists from overseas.
At this time of the year, one of Japan's best attractions, the cherry blossoms will be in full bloom and the WTTC's Global Summit, sometimes called the "Davos Forum of Tourism", will be held on 16-19 April in Tokyo and Sendai, for the first time in Japan. "Thank You" with fully bloomed cherry blossoms will welcome you.
Japan continues to be an attractive travel destination, offering cultural and culinary delights accompanied by our heartfelt "Thank You." to international tourists.
1. A special logo "Japan. Thank You." and a special poster to be displayed in various parts of the world.
2. "Thank You" displays at the main international airports and sea ports in Japan.
3. A "Thank You" Origami Crane Campaign held in Marunouchi area of Tokyo, where the JNTO Tourist Information Center (TIC) is located.
4. "Thank You" banner displays in shopping streets and "Thank You" logo displays on buses and taxis and hotel flags in Tokyo, Yokohama, Kyoto, Osaka, Sendai and New York, etc.
5. Special illuminations held at Tokyo Sky Tree, Yokohama Marine Tower, Kyoto Higashiyama Hanatouro 2012, Kobe Port Tower and Beppu Tower, expressing Japan's feelings of "Thank You" (only on March 11).
6. Free admission to 16 tourist facilities and some public transportation ride in Takayama City, Gifu Prefecture to overseas visitors (only on March 11).
7. A special "Thank You" edition of ZAGAT, a guide for foreign tourists, to be given out.
8. "Thank You" cards to be distributed to the participants of the Tokyo Marathon and other events.
9. "Thank You" videos from various parts of Japan to be posted on Ustream and dispatched to the world.
From late February to late April 2012
Note: The period for various activities differs.
|Enclosure1: Special Message Logo, "Japan. Thank You."|
|Enclosure2: Special Poster "Japan, Rising Again. Thank you for your support."|
|Enclosure3: Cherry blossoms of "Thank you" will bloom in Ginza, Marunouchi, Akihabara and other big cities.|
| Enclosure4: Travel Guide for Overseas Visitors, "ZAGAT” Thank You version (Tokyo and Kyoto)
～ZAGAT Japan Travel Aid Edition～
|Enclosure5: Distribution of "Thank You” card to Overseas Participants of Tokyo Marathon and Other Events|
|Enclosure6: List of Programs|
|Enclosure7: 12th WTTC Global Summit|